Saturday, January 23, 2010

Do you believe in magic?

22 days into the new year and it’s already been amazing! I had a great visit back east after working at the bar through the holidays. While I was gone, some magic happened to greet me on my return to LA! I met a very nice producer for a very popular show when she came to lunch at the bar. She gave me her assistant’s phone number and told me to call him and send in my headshot and resume. I did all of this – he was very nice on the phone – but nothing happened. This lovely nice fairy godmothersister of a producer came back into the bar earlier this week, asked me what had happened, I told her, “Nothing so far. I sent in my H/R but haven’t heard anything.”, and she called the office while having lunch and asked them to set up a general for me. The casting director’s office called me 3 hours later with an appointment for the next day! Amazing! I had these great juicy sides playing a character you at first thing deserved to get killed, but then later you find out she was trying help everyone. Let me start at the beginning.

I put some good solid work into my sides and then arrived at the audition neighborhood an hour early because I was determined not to be late. So, I had time to grab a tea, find a good parking spot, and run my sides a few more times in the car. In the meantime, the rain had begun again – for those of you who don’t know, we’ve had blazing sun to drizzle to mist to driving rain to hail to rainbows for pretty much the entire week. I get out of the car my pant legs were soaked in the 30 sec it took to put quarters in the meter. I got into the audition waiting room freezing and wet and shivering – thankfully the casting office had the heat on full blast for all of us cold, wet girls! I signed in and noticed that the other 2 girls their were repped by CAA (Creative Artists Agency) and Innovative Artists Agency – two major players in Hollywood. I meekly but determinedly drew a line through the box next to my name where it said “Agency”. Then I chatted a bit with the other 2 girls there and continued to look at my sides. Girl one left and a few moments later, Jewel Staite from Serendipity, Firefly and Stargate: Atlantis walked in! She was there to audition, too. The nice guy running the auditions came in and called out names and, as he read the list, he called out Meghan (“That’s me”), Jewel – Jewel S said “yup”, Julia “right here”, Jewel – I said “ yes” - and then Jewel Staite and I both said, “you’re a Jewel?” I said to the nice guy “I’m Jewel Greenberg.” “Ah!” he says, “then you must be Jewel Staite” – “Yes” she said. Then he left and Jewel S and I bonded over how each of us is the only other Jewel we know in LA. A lovely interaction and she really is as nice as Kaylee, her character from Firefly. As we were talking, it came out that I didn’t have representation. A collective gasp – “How did you get in here? It’s really hard.” Said one of the girls. I told them the story about the lovely executive producer and they exclaimed, “Wow, that is really lucky. Good for you! People dream about that kind of thing happening to them. Good luck!”
As all of this was going on, we would intermittently hear cussing and hurried walking/stomping from the casting director’s office next door. Not particularly soothing, one of the other girls said not to worry – this casting director is always like this. “Great.” I thought wryly, “My first tv audition in LA and I’m going in to a scary loud-voiced stomper”. Finally, it was my turn – I was fine when I got there, but did get progressively nervous as the waiting went on. When I went in, the cameraman met me at the door and I walked in to meet the casting director who, surprisingly, was all smiles and nice as pie. Well, maybe not pie – she wasn’t sticky sweet, but grounded and a straight shooter… Nice as a mushroom and sausage pizza pie maybe. We talked a little, she asked me how I knew the exec producer, and then we got into the sides. I appreciated how upfront she was about how they did things - right off the bat, she invited me to tell them if I wanted to do something over again because they edit the tape. We did each scene 2 or 3 time – sometimes at my request, but mainly at theirs so I felt like I really got a fair shake even though I’m new to this market. I’m proud to say I accomplished everything I set out to do – I showed emotional range, took direction well, and didn’t come off as nervous but as an actor who knows her craft and is confident. I haven’t heard anything, but I’d be surprised if I got the part. I’m pretty green to be given a juicy guest starring role like this without having a couple of co-start parts first, but you never know. Regardless, I got in front of a great casting director and I’ll keep in touch with her via postcards. Hopefully I co-star or a smaller guest star role when come out of it. And you never know – maybe she’ll call me next week, tell me the producers loved my tape and I’m go in for a producer call. That’s what Theo’s hoping for. I’m letting my hopes hone in on the more realistic eventually co-start. Whew! That long story was great thing number one.

Great thing number two is that I have a commercial agent! Right before Thanksgiving, a good friend of mine who’s a voice over agent gave my headshot and resume to a commercial agent (Rich) at his sister agency. I didn’t hear anything so I asked him to touch base with Rich a week after Thanksgiving. Still nothing, so I asked him to touch base with him again after New Year’s. He did so and they finally called. I went in for my interview last week and end up talking with the head of their non-union department for an hour – for those of you who don’t know, that is a loooooong time to be in an agency meeting. Rich and I really hit it off – I felt comfortable talking with him, I liked the atmosphere in the office, and the woman at the front desk was really nice and friendly. All major points for the agency! During our meeting, I felt that Rich took the time to answer my questions and ask me more than once if I had any questions for him. I felt cared for and I felt like he cared about the progression of my career as well, not just getting me signed. He really wanted to make sure his agency was the right fit for me. And I felt it was! I called him a few days later to confirm that I wanted to sign with them and now we’re all systems go. I’m going in to sign contracts next week, but I’ve already switched my LA Casting account over to BB&R. Now that it’s official, I can give you the details – I am the happiest new client at Brady, Brannon & Rich! That’s great thing number 2.

Great thing number 3 is that I met another (!) producer at my bar who offered to put me in touch with some great managers he knows. Yes, that would mean paying out more of my meager acting salary as I get jobs, but it would also mean I have someone looking out for me and my career and another person on my side who can get me in the door. That, so far, is the hardest part. I’m thrilled to start going out on commercial auditions, but I’ve been doing lots of casting director workshops and, though I feel like I have a good vibe with the CD’s and I get good feedback, I haven’t been called in theatrically yet. Maybe I should be targeting AFTRA shows? Maybe I need to start pulling on my contacts and asking for auditions? I’m not sure. I’m doing Bonnie Gillespie’s Self-Management for Actors Seminar (SMFA) tomorrow, and I’m planning to get answers to some of my questions then.

SMFA is going to be great because we’re going to talk about how to talk about ourselves. I’m great at networking, it turns out – I like talking to people, I’m able to craft an interesting conversation, I’m fun and I put people at ease – but I get all tongue tied when I feel like I’m on the spot and have to impress people with what I’ve done. Also, I always want to get into the details when someone asks, “How do you see yourself getting cast?” Probably, they just want to hear, “Doctor, lawyer, detective, mom, smart and slightly quirky lead.” But I want to say, “Well, I can play the smart, nice girl who gets a little crazy when stressed, or the cop who’s friendly most of the time but kicks ass when she has to, etc.” I need to keep it short, clear and to the point, and we’re going to tackle that tomorrow.

Oh, and one more exciting thing. We finally had our wrap part for Simply Simon and we got to watch Episode 1! It’s very funny and sweet and it looks amazing. Jarrett, our DP, and Tom, our director, did an amazing job visually. Ben, of course, did an incredible job writing (and acting). And the rest of us… oh, we did a’ight. More this spring when Simply Simon airs at www.watchsimplysimon.com.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thank you so much for being a part of our seminar, Jewel. You ROCK! XO